DANGERR: A Design Competition
To Promote Common Sense Gun Safety Legislation and Education
Generating Funds and Awareness for Real Action to Protect Our Communities
This competition, supported by RICAGV and organized by Metalsmith Boris Bally, was designed to promote conversations that spark debate while providing needed resources.
We are looking for bold, affordable works of wearable, useable or decorative art to further an awareness of the gun violence epidemic we still face.
Jury will consider overall design originality, skill, impact and production feasibility. The design’s ability to convey the mission of the RICAGV will be crucial.
The first place winner will receive a purchase order from RICAGV for the purchase of twenty units at their maximum wholesale cost of $100 (value up to $2,000).
RICAGV will initially purchase the original prototype entries from each of the finalist’s jury-selected designs.
These top designs will be professionally photographed and promoted on the RICAGV website, in mailings, and at events, using the designer’s name in all promotions.
These selected designs will be offered for retail sale to the public by RICAGV and their affiliated locations.
The Jury reserves the right to pick as many design finalists as they wish. The designs will remain the property of the designer with the stipulation that the RICAGV may promote and sell these designs.
Entry Fee and Deadline
Entry fee for one product is $30; up to 2 additional entries @ $15 each.
Deadline for receipt of entries is by midnight on June 2, 2018, National Wear Orange Day.
See below for full competition details.
Our nationally recognized Jurors will select the final pieces to be placed into production:
Editor Metalsmith Magazine
Richard Brown Baker Curator of Contemporary Art, RISD Museum
Executive Director, RICAGV
Competition Details and Specifications
- The tax deductible entry fee is USD $30 per entry.
- Maximum of 3 entries total by the same entrant.
- Each additional entry is USD $15 (example: an entrant sends in 3 designs = USD $60 fee).
- Please make checks out to the Rhode Island Gun Violence Education Fund.
- The entrant is solely responsible for costs associated with making their prototype, shipping and insurance
while in transit to RICAGV.
- All entries must be received by midnight on June 2, 2018.
- Entrants must be 18 years of age.
- Student work is permitted.
- Entries will be accepted from any country.
- A fully-functional, finished, physical prototype of each entry must be submitted for inclusion.
- Entries must be able to be produced by the entrant on a limited production basis (12-50 units).
- Entries may not exceed 3 pounds and must fit inside a 10.5″ x 8″ x 5″ box.
- By submitting to this competition, the entrant agrees that their designs are original.
- Each entrant may submit up to three designs.
- A photo portfolio showing the object in use will reinforce the entry but is not required.
- A completed entry form listing techniques, dimensions, materials and wholesale cost must accompany the application.
- Design entries, submitted as prototypes, may incorporate imagery of, or actual components from a gun, but must be in-line with the RICAGV mission and thematically anti-violence.
- All designs remain the property of the entrant and will be handled with complete care and confidentiality until selections have been made and results released by the jury.
- Once winners have been notified and the selections are made public, the entrant agrees to offer the designs exclusively to RICAGV, for sale, for a period of two years.
- RICAGV will promote, through photographs, written content, and/or video, the artist’s designs, name and brand along with the RICAGV brand.
- Rejected designs from the USA will be returned to the entrants, insured, at the expense of RICAGV.
- Rejected entrants from other countries must pay for their own return shipping and insurance.
- June 2, 2018: Deadline for receipt of entries (by midnight)
- June 2018: Jury panel convenes
- July 4, 2018: Awards announced (USA Independence Day)
- July 2018: Winning designs photographed
- August 1, 2018: Winning design featured on RICAGV Website; non-accepted works returned to designers
FINALIST PRODUCT PROCESS AND PAYMENT
As orders are received, they will be turned over to the artist for timely production. RICAGV will in turn fulfill orders directly to the customer. Artists will receive their wholesale price and RICAGV will receive the balance to support their ongoing work.
PRODUCING THE WINNING ENTRIES
By entering this competition, the entrant agrees that if their design is selected:
- They are able to, and will be solely responsible for, the production/replication of their own design in quantities greater than 12 units with an expected maximum of 50 units.
- Their production units are identical to the initial prototype entry.
- The time line for production, from receiving an order from the RICAGV to delivering it to the RICAGV may not exceed 4 weeks.
- RICAGV will pay for their orders NET 15.
- Entrant’s designs will be offered for sale to the public for a retail price of less than USD $200.
- To be profitable for the entrant, their designs should COST them less than USD $50 to produce (this is the cost to the entrant including time/materials and overhead).
- RICAGV will purchase these units from the entrant at the wholesale cost (entrant’s cost to make object plus entrant’s profit) of no more than USD $100.